Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Me as a manager

 This is Strange 

  • We'll learn more about each other organically

  • This is intended to quickly mention a few things to better understand me 

  • This is not a presentation, but an info deck (https://martinfowler.com/bliki/Infodeck.html)

  • Part of having this be known by the team is so that you can all hold me accountable for my actions

What I do


  1. Attract and Retain World-Class Talent (that's you!)

  2. Set context and provide clarity 


  • When I do something that negatively impacts my ability to retain you, tell me, (or if you’re more comfortable my boss), ASAP. 

  • If I do something that feels more like telling you how to do your job rather than setting context, tell me ASAP.


How I approach my job

  • Autonomy - you decides how you do your work we each own what we do

  • Learn - continue to learn and do better for yourself and for the Enterprise be open about what you don’t know and be willing to learn

  • Purpose - Align your work with a high power, customer, Team, OKR, …

    • We are the Team that can change the way the world uses software 


Stay Frosty, (agile)
  • Document how you take in work; what’s most important and done first 

    • Grooming, planning, limiting work in progress...

  • Have retrospectives; when things are good and when thing are not so good

    • And learn from them  

    • And learn from them, and learn from them 

  • Limit the Work In Progress (WIP)

    • If you don’t limit the work your doing you’ll end up doing all the work.  

Transparency

  • I work to be as open as possible about what’s going on with our team, department, and the organization 

  • My calendar is public, update to day and very few events are private

  • This company may require me to not tell you about something before a certain date (e.g. stock option plan changes which managers may know a week before they were announced).

I bias toward transparency and candor.  You can ask anything.  Most of the time, I'll answer.  Rarely, I won't.  I'm committed to never lying to you.

No comments: